Contest coming soon!

Announcements will appear here.
MD
Site Admin

Contest coming soon!

Post by MD »

Since many of you requested it, we are going to have a level design contest!

Starting: June 21st (Saturday), when I make an official contest thread in the news forum.
Duration: 2 weeks (deadline is midnight July 4th)
Prize: Fame, glory, recognition, etc, etc
Theme: Will be announced June 21st.

Requirements:
-Level must be timestamped between start and finish date
-You must post a link to your level in the official contest thread (and thus must be registered on the forum as well as in game)
-Level cannot contain offensive text/graphics, including profanity, and cannot be a copy of an already existing level.
-Requirements are subject to change (namely, levels must conform to the theme once it is announced)

Judging:
Subject to change.
I'm thinking 2 winning levels, one will be the highest rated level (ie, "Most Fun") and one will be voted as "Most effort" (or perhaps "Most Artistic/Appealing/Cool") by the forum members.

Please discuss the contest, especially this week before it starts so I may clear up any questions.

Until then, you can learn how to work the editor, ask questions, and start thinking of ideas. However, the theme for the contest will only be announced on June 21st, plus there's going to be...actually, i'm not going to give away too many hints, you'll just have to come back Saturday!

~MD
Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

Cool! I love how you listen to us, MD. So a contest, eh? I wonder what the theme is going to be... better get my level-making skillz ready.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

First of all I want to say that the "level contest" link on the gallery page is a great idea. As of this posting, there are 82 registered forum members. It will be interesting to see how many more sign up as a result of the contest.

I think that ALL judging should be done in the forum, and not based on gallery star ratings. I've seen some awesome levels get mediocre or poor star ratings, mainly because the general public doesn't always necessarily grasp what the level is all about.

My input on winning level recognition would be to folllow Olympic standards of gold, silver and bronze, based on the number of votes. It's an easily recognized concept the world over. The idea of having stuff like "Most Artistic/Appealing/Cool" would be more suited to future contest themes.

Full Size Image is HERE

Another thought is to create a new "Contest" type category for these events. The potential problem with that would be restricting the use of that category to contestants only. Perhaps that would be a category NOT made available to anyone, but MD could move contest entries their after the contest was over?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Zeke wrote:I think that ALL judging should be done in the forum, and not based on gallery star ratings. I've seen some awesome levels get mediocre or poor star ratings, mainly because the general public doesn't always necessarily grasp what the level is all about.
I agree with this.

Anyway, can't wait for saturday :D
I have already come up with some ideas.
Hope the theme (or other rules) won't spoil them ;)