Level Design Contest!

Announcements will appear here.
MD
Site Admin

Level Design Contest!

Post by MD »

Alright, it's time for a level design contest! There's a special rule though, and that is that it must relate to the theme:
The theme is: TIME
How you interpret it is up to you, though I'd expect that it might have something to do with the recent update

Starting: Immediately
Ending: July 4th, at midnight (my time...I won't be strict about it)
The prize: Fame, glory, recognition, etc, etc

Requirements:
-You must post a link to your level (or just the name or ID) in this contest thread (and must be registered on the forum, yes it's seperate from the game account).
-Level must be timestamped between start and finish date
-Level must relate to "time"
-Level cannot contain offensive text/graphics, including profanity.
-Level cannot be a copy of an already existing level.

Judging:
There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (Gold, Silver, Bronze) winners. These will be voted upon in the forums for 1 week after the contest has ended.

Have fun!
~MD
Last edited by MD on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Ok, that theme just COMPLETELY messed up my plans :D
This would have been the best update if it wasn't for this contest :P

EDIT: Is it a bad thing if the level's main theme isn't time (like it doesn't immediately shout out "TIME!!11" to you), but it still uses time based commands?
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

EDIT: Is it a bad thing if the level's main theme isn't time (like it doesn't immediately shout out "TIME!!11" to you), but it still uses time based commands?
Since a contest level has to be posted here in this thread anyway, it might be a good idea for each entry to add a brief explanation of how the level utilized the "TIME" theme if it's not obvious.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

My level is now finished.
  • Just a level

- 32 visible parts
    - 107 invisible parts
    - 5 weapons
    - 470 lines of AI code
It may lag if you have CPU intensive applications open or just have a poor CPU :P
I hope it's worth it! :D It was pretty fun making it.

Oh, the theme. Well it uses A LOT of time based triggers :)

EDIT: The level has gone pretty buggy :S but whatever. I'm not going to start fixing it anymore.
Anyway the forms should look something like this:
1, 2, 3

Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

BEHOLD!
The Time Manipulator has been completed!
It can speed up or slow down the orbs that are rotating around it, it can speed up itself, and you have to try and destroy it.
The Time Manipulator
It is actually kind of hard, but with 3 lives it shouldn't be much trouble.
Hope you all like it, by the looks of things me and Mouzi are the only entries. :?

(Hooray for cool contest post colors)
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Sasadad wrote:by the looks of things me and Mouzi are the only entries.
Yeah, and my level is broken :D (Although it wasn't at least not for the first few days after I made it.)

Anyway, nice level. It's more related to the theme than my level :P
It was pretty easy to destroy the six or were there seven (one in front?) parts, because you could just camp in the corner, but after that I couldn't find anything vulnerable even if I kept shooting at it for a while.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Hey Sasadad - I liked The Time Manipulator, and thought it had some innovative features. The changes in speed together with the changes in color of the orbs gave it a three dimensional aspect. It also made the movement seem more (for lack of a better word) "realistic" or "lifelike".

While your approach to the time theme is totally different for Mouzi's Just a level (which I commented on in this thread), I think both have used the theme well and are outstanding examples of great level design (in spite of what Mouzi says :-)).

Since there is still the rest of the day to go before the contest ends, it will be interesting to see if there are more surprises in store. I sure hope so.

Mouzi - I replayed your level to see what you meant about it being broken. If you hadn't mentioned it, I don't think anyone would notice. Since everything flies apart anyway, it fits the action okay :lol:

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

Thanks for the review, Zeke! :) I'm glad you liked it. I still think Mouzi's going to beat me, but we'll see.
Mouzi, practically everyone on the forums got to see your level before it broke, so we know what it is supposed to be like. And in my level after you destroy the part on the front and the six things on the sides, you need to destroy the center of the rotating thing at the back that was inside a circle before (the main power supply of the Time Manipulator). It's small and it might take a little while, which gives the ship more of a chance to hit you.
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Oh, I thought it was invulnerable too. It gave me the "cling cling" sound. Guess I was wrong then.
Have to try it later again.
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Sasadad wrote:by the looks of things me and Mouzi are the only entries.
It seems so.

Is mp3228 entering Angel into the contest?
Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

I assume not, because he's not a member of the forums and the level isn't obviously related to time, but mainly the contest entry period is now over.
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Well, you still have a chance to participate, if you have a level ready:
"Contest is now over, however if you've created a level already that is worthy then please mention it in the forum by clicking here"
Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

Ah, I see. I don't usually go into the gallery because of the lack of better levels lately, so I didn't see that.