Multilingual

Announcements will appear here.

What do you think of there being other languages in user content?

I think they're awesome
17%
I like them but I wish I could read them
28%
I find it distracting or frustrating not being able to read them
No votes
------------------------------------------------
No votes
I know other languages
33%
I only know English
22%
I don't know English
No votes

Total votes: 18

MD
Site Admin

Multilingual

Post by MD »

Just a quick poll out of curiousity, regarding the use of languages other than english in both usernames and level names. Select one option from the first 3 and then one from the last 3 (yes i realise how ridiculous the last option is, but hey, we live in a technological world so you never know)

ps. thank goodness for online translation!

~MD
Zeke

Re: Multilingual

Post by Zeke »

I think it's a great idea. I understand some words in at least ten languages but the only one I am fluent at is English (and that's up for debate at times). I know that some ZFer's who don't speak it as their first language make a noble attempt to title their levels in English (out of courtesy or necessity) but all too often it loses something in their translation. It would be nice to have a translation in parenthesis but I have Google Translate on my homepage, so it is no big deal.

I think the forum should have the same option, so that people could communicate within their own global community easier.

And while we are on the subject of language... would it be possible to add a spell checker and a link to a translator to the forum if you enabled multilingual capability?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
swartzer

Re: Multilingual

Post by swartzer »

I don't have a problem with multilanguage support, but I do wish I could read the level titles, because they're often a clue as to what the designer was trying to accomplish, and that affects the ratings I give. (Just as an example, if I see a level named something like "beginner level", I'll mark it down if it's challenging, where normally I mark levels up for being challenging.) This isn't a really major concern, though, compared to the playability of the levels themselves, which has nothing to do with the language their title is printed in.