New Website Features

Announcements will appear here.
swartzer

Re: New Website Features

Post by swartzer »

Two minor feature requests: can a level's profile page show the type of level (action, puzzle, art, etc) and can the play page for a level include a link back to its profile page?

I hear you about IE, though! I'm wondering what new oddities version eight will bring us, too.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

I have a login issue that I can't seem to resolve. As a result I can't see all the new features. I am currently logged in by using the signin boxes on the top left of the forum home page. Is that the AJAX form you mentioned MD?

When I go to the gallery and beat a level, on the rating screen I get a notice on the bottom left saying "not logged in". If I attempt to sign in on the gallery page I get a notice saying "invalid credentials".

BTW, that was while viewing in FireFox.

On a slightly different note... I don't want to rain on anyones parade but since the majority of people use IE, all of these new features will go unused and unnoticed by them. You might consider adding a notice that the page is best viewed in another browser but I doubt very much that most people would bother switching. And the "donate" link doesn't appear on the current websites main page.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

swartzer wrote:Two minor feature requests: can a level's profile page show the type of level (action, puzzle, art, etc) and can the play page for a level include a link back to its profile page?
Good ideas, will do

Zeke, you have to login with your user created in the Editor (soon i'll have a seperate register form from the editor, since user accounts aren't used solely for creating levels anymore, but for now one has to register via the editor).

Oh and you keep saying "left" but it's actually on the right...hehe, i'll assume that's what you meant.

I intend to get IE working eventually, as about 30% of people are still using it. Once that and a few other things are done I should be able to scrap the old site entirely :)

Thanks!
~MD
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

I enjoy the comments.
Its like a second forums.
:lol:
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

MD wrote: Zeke, you have to login with your user created in the Editor (soon i'll have a seperate register form from the editor, since user accounts aren't used solely for creating levels anymore, but for now one has to register via the editor).

Oh and you keep saying "left" but it's actually on the right...hehe, i'll assume that's what you meant.
Thanks for the clarification MD... and for teaching me my left from my right! :-)

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

I enjoy the comments.
Its like a second forums.
What, because hardly anybody posts comments? :wink:

Well, OK, maybe I just haven't been looking. But I really like the comment system!

MD, could the number of comments for each level show up in the main gallery listing?
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

for the record, I use internet explorer but it does not crash on my computer.
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Doing some browser testing. All on Windows XP...here's what i found:

Opera 10 - everything works, i'm basing correctness off of this browser
Welcome
Gallery
Level Profile

Firefox 3 - everything works
Welcome
Gallery
Level Profile

Internet Explorer 7 - doesn't know how to center things apparently
Welcome
Gallery The Search link has vanished...though clicking where it should be still links to the search page
Level Profile

Safari 3 - messes up the gallery, and weird font (but that's not a glitch, just different interpretation)
Welcome
Gallery
Level Profile

Chrome 2 - messes up the gallery. i didn't realize until now that Chrome is based on the same code Safari uses
Welcome
Gallery
Level Profile

If anyone knows solutions to these problems let me know. And feel free to post screen shots of anything weird you find.

Also, my resolution is 1920x1200, anyone have issues at smaller resolutions?

~MD
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

The ratings don't seem to be working in Firefox since the last round of changes. However, the symptoms are different from last time this happened. When I click to rate a level, it says my rating has been submitted, but then no matter what rating I gave it, or what the prior average was, it says the average rating is now zero. Returning to the profile page shows the average from before I entered my rating, even after a page reload, so I think my ratings just aren't getting saved somehow. Nothing has changed in my browser setup or connection.

Edit: I also just noticed that when I try to rate a level a second time, it doesn't say I've already rated it, but does the same thing as the first time.

BTW, thanks for adding the link back to the profile and the display of level type on the profile. Now if only the number of comments for each level would show up in the main gallery listing, my life would be complete. :wink:
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

swartzer wrote:Now if only the number of comments for each level would show up in the main gallery listing, my life would be complete. :wink:
Your life is complete then! Cause it already does show the comment count. Actually, I really don't think it's going to complete your life...not even close...but we can pretend.

~MD
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

swartzer wrote:The ratings don't seem to be working in Firefox since the last round of changes.
My bad, i changed a url in one place but not another. Thanks

The main gallery listing can order by comment count now too.

~MD
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

D'oH! You're right, it was in there. I think I must've been looking at the played/won listings in my profile instead; comments still don't show up there, though I just noticed they do in the list of created levels. It's very cool to be able to sort by number of comments, so thanks for that too; could that be added in the created and played/won lists too? The ratings are working for me again as well. Everything seems to work in Firefox now.

I tested the beta in lower resolutions, and at 800x600, the welcome text in the top right overlaps the options text on the gallery page, and the joystick icon overlaps some of the info text on the level profile page. Everything is fine at 1024x768 and above, though. I also noticed that on the level end screen, the "Retry" text is in a different font from the other options and gets jaggy at low resolutions. Other than that it's all good though!

And don't worry, though I like this game a lot, it's hardly the center of my life, in case it wasn't obvious I was joking. :wink:

Another edit: It would be really cool if the level profile page showed a list of who has won the level and their rime and lives, just like the played/won list in your own profile... except maybe don't list the people who have played but not won.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Sweet, I see the high score chart is up on the level profiles. I like that it's split between best time and best lives.

It looks like it only shows an individual user's top score for that level, which I think is good because then the charts can't be filled by one user.
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Exactly, I figure unique names would be better than 1 person 10 times over.

I think I have the entire site working in every browser now. It even passes XHTML 1.0 Strict validation. So, I'll give it a bit of time to test it then i'll put in on the main site for all to use....oh and I may try to fix the index page, i'm not completely satisfied with the way it looks now (the changes were necessary to make it valid XHTML).

Did I miss anything?

Edit: Oh! Saving in the editor doesn't work. That's kinda important...i'll fix that and hold off on upgrading the normal site until I know for sure that all that editor functions work correctly.

~MD
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

Edit: removed post.
Last edited by asdasdg on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.