Update - Could it be?! An update!?!

Announcements will appear here.
MD
Site Admin

Update - Could it be?! An update!?!

Post by MD »

Hello everyone!

It's been a long time, hope you're all doing well.

I think it's about time for a little update, don't expect much, just something I've been meaning to do for a long time. You see, I started developing this update back in the summer of 2009, but then got overwhelmed in work and never saw it through. So I figured I really ought to just release it. I had to cut a few corners to get it out, but I figure that any update is better than none at all.

What's in the update you ask? Well, if I remember correctly, here it is:
New AI Code commands:

Code: Select all

setDistance, DISTANCE, PART#, [MORE_PART#]
setWidth, WIDTH%, PART#, [MORE_PART#]
setHeight, HEIGHT%, PART#, [MORE_PART#]
setHP, HP, PART#, [MORE_PART#]
setGunTime, TIME, PART#, [MORE_PART#]
When using, be sure to replace all CAPITALIZED words with chosen values. There could be more things that I changed within the last 2 years and forgot...who knows, haha.

Tips:
1. makeTrigger,time,1,setHP,8000,6,7,8
(i don't remember why you may not want to use setHP by itself...but there was a good reason I'm sure...)

2. Enable advanced view (text edit > advanced, then cancel text edit).
Mousing over parts (on the screen, not on the parts panel) will now show their internal names and gun parts will display timing information (frame # when they will fire, etc).

Also check out my new level utilizing some of the new features:
Hammerhead Harrier

And making-of video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJYpCDZF1S8

Lastly, I've attached my code for the parts used in the level and the AI code. So you can see the inner workings of it if you want.

That's it! There probably won't be another update for a long time, sorry about that. I'm finishing up my CS degree this year and it hasn't left me with the free time I used to have. Plus, this game is built entirely with Action Script 1 which is really showing it's age - it's quite painful trying to do anything new with it. Though feel free to report bugs, if they're simple enough I may get around to fixing them :)

Have fun!
~MD
Attachments
aiCode.txt
(8.15 KiB) Downloaded 842 times
parts.txt
(6.79 KiB) Downloaded 882 times
asdasdg

Re: Update - Could it be?! An update!?!

Post by asdasdg »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering when the distance feature in the AI would become a reality. And I just came onto the site to drop by and almost swore when I saw the new vid. EPIC!

Only one problem, you should put a cap on the HP custimization so we don't wind up with a level that has a core only with 99999999999999999999999999999999999999 hp......
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Ohhh, an update! New stuff is always cool.
Though I probably won't be making any levels with these since I've already done, and seen others do, all of these through some kind of trickery and advanced techniques :P Well, size change wasn't really _true_ size change but still.

Good to see you're still alive :) Still alive ♪
Maybe you can some day pick up the project again and (re?)make it to be the next Minecraft.
And good luck with your studies!
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Hey MD - Like Mouzi said... Good to see you're alive :-)

Finishing up your CS degree? Seems like only yesterday you were heading off to college. How quickly they grow up! ... LOL

Best wishes for a strong finish!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
NARFNra
Location: Laughing evilly as he manipulates the government on Zeta Flolan.

Post by NARFNra »

YEEEEEEES

Thank you god and other various deities

Anyway, I can't wait to use this stuff. Brb!

EDIT: Level's made! --> http://zetaflow.skylogic.ca/game/profile/13349/

I am of open mind and willing to hear criticism. Also: That's stupid and you're stupid. ~ 8Bit Theater

Ye who runs needlessly,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
~La Mulana, Endless Corridor Tablet
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Nice level NARF :) though I'd probably prefer the regular straight line movement over setDistance, unless the choppy movement has some kind of artistic value (I guess it does look kinda cool). Other than that, it looks great.

The thing with setDistance is that it was already possible with the rotatePart command, though a bit more cumbersome to work with. You can even set the exact position of a part on the screen with rotatePart. Of course you can do it even more easily now with a combination of setDistance and rotatePart, but it still isn't that unique. I hope someone finds some novel uses for these commands too :P
Fruktfisk

Post by Fruktfisk »

It's good to know this game is still getting some minor updates, I wish I had the time to play it more often. Though most of these could be done earlier, this makes the process much easier. :)
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

Umm.....That was several months ago.
Fruktfisk

Post by Fruktfisk »

I know it was several months ago, but it was a year since I last visited this place. :P
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

It stays pretty quiet around here with the exception of the occasional spammer.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein