Total votes: 12

MD
Site Admin

Weapon preview

Post by MD »

Farfelkugeln

Post by Farfelkugeln »

Nice! :D
I hope you have more weapons in mind for us.

By the way, would you mind ideas and suggestions about new weapons?
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

I'm for it.

Even though it will mean we see a flood of totally impossible levels filled with that weapon, the same is true of all the other weapons as well. If we continue to rate the impossible levels zero, hopefully those designers will get over their "OMG, look at me, I made a level nobody can beat, that means I am soooo kewl!!!!!!1!!!1!!!!" phase and start designing playable levels.

Meanwhile those designers who are already working hard designing good, challenging levels will find creative uses for the new weapon, and I'm all for that.

BTW, if by any chance you are accepting feature requests, I would like to put in a vote for object grouping in the editor. This has been mentioned in the suggestions forum before. I am not a flash programmer, but I wonder if it would be possible to add a "group" object such that every object linked to it would be moved, resized, flipped or copied whenever the group object was moved, and rotated about the center of the group when the group was rotated? Presumably the group object would have to be visible only in the editor and have zero HP. Maybe it would be easier to just make a new type of link available, such that when an object was linked to the parent object with that link, any operations done to the parent would be done to the linked object as well? Of course, I don't code in flash so feel free to take my suggestions with an appropriately-sized grain of salt. :-}

Thanks again MD for making this cool game, and to all the designers making cool levels!
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

That looks awesome, MD, though I'm wondering how works exactly. If you are on the inside of the radius you get destroyed? Or is it a barrier that blocks shots and destroys you if you bump into it? Also, what happens when it gets scaled? I would prefer not to see a really large radious that covers the entire map but it would get zeroes at any rate so that might not be a big worry.

Also, is that a boss weapon or a regular one? Some people were interested in seeing the missile launcher turned into a regular weapon. A two shot missile launcher that works like a bubble turret would be fairly manageable though I can see people wanting the full spread launcher as well or instead.
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Farfelkugeln wrote:would you mind ideas and suggestions about new weapons?
I'm always open to ideas.
swartzer wrote:vote for object grouping in the editor
Ya, there's been a few requests for this, which is why I'm working on it :) At the moment, basic moving works fine for grouping but scaling and rotating is a bit glitchy.
Geiss wrote:I'm wondering how this weapon works exactly
This is a regular weapon, just like lasers, rockets, single shots, etc. The weapon uses a shape hittest, which means that at first only the animated lines will kill, but then the circle is filled so if you're within the radius you'll die. The weapon part itself can be scaled, like all parts, but the "bullet" cannot be scaled.

Also, I am considering turning the boss weapons into normal weapons, we'll see.

Thanks,
~MD
Farfelkugeln

Post by Farfelkugeln »

Well, I got some suggestions for new weapons.
Bear in mind that probably all of these will lag when in large numbers, or be to complex.
But see what you can make out of it.

:arrow: A round disc that bounces of ship parts . (#edit# or a laser that reflects of walls)
:arrow: A mine that explode with spread shots wich hangs in the air for a while.
:arrow: A kind of aircraft carrier with small ships wich circles around you in a wide radius, shooting bullets at you.

It would be cool to see one of my ideas in this great game, I hope they're not too complex.
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Farfelkugeln wrote: :arrow: A round disc that bounces of ship parts . (#edit# or a laser that reflects of walls).
Bouncing off stuff could get complicated but could be neat - like what if it hits something moving towards the shot really fast? But thats a lot of angles to calculate though.

The problem with a bouncing laser is that it goes the full distance instantly, meaning if it reflected over most of the level, you would see a screen of mostly purple and no chance to evade since it would be hard to predict, esp with moving parts.
Farfelkugeln wrote: :arrow: A mine that explode with spread shots wich hangs in the air for a while.
Like a lazy missile that randomly explodes into pellets? That would be neat, though hanging in the air might be unfair to the player.
Farfelkugeln wrote: :arrow: A kind of aircraft carrier with small ships wich circles around you in a wide radius, shooting bullets at you.
Kinda reminds me of the Protoss Carrier from Starcraft. A missile like object that shot at you a few times before dissappearing sounds interesting.
Farfelkugeln

Post by Farfelkugeln »

Thanks. I hope you can make use of some of the ideas.
ThePagemaster

Post by ThePagemaster »

It just seems a little cruel. its like:

Ah!! I'm Surrounded! Nooo I'm dead.

You need to be able to dodge the weapons and you cant dodge this one. Try a circle but instead of completely filling it in you should have beams that go to the middle. Like spokes on a wheel. This would leave some room to dodge.
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Good point, but I thought that the player would have sufficient warning to vacate the area. Of course this weapon like the others can be abused in certain ways but they can always be marked down in the ratings.

Spokes are an interesting idea but are too much like lasers imo. I kinda would like to see this weapon the way it is in game first.
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

I think I agree; let's see how it is in game first. It's a nice 'close range sweeper' that's handy for keeping a player from clinging to close to a weapon or part of some kind.

I was chewing on a suggestion of something like a rocket or shot that went out straight, then burst into four or eight small shots in all directions. A scatter shot, basically. It might be a good long-range weapon for catching a hiding player. The only other thing that hit me was something like a flamethrower, a short range cone of flame that lasted a second or so. That one might lag the flash game too much though, I think maintaining the possible complexity of levels is pretty important too by not slowing down the game too much.
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

A projectile like a missile that latter exploded into a spread shot was something I had considered suggesting, either that or a missile that followed you while shooting single shots aka like a little fighter.
Fruktfisk

Re: Weapon preview

Post by Fruktfisk »

I've always wanted a machine gun, shooting like the twinrapid core gun, but only in one direction (unless the gun is moving) It would shoot 10-15 shots, but then need a long time to reload. Another Suggestion would be some kind of Shcokwave gun, which shoots waves instead of bullets, reaching over a bigger area.
NARFNra
Location: Laughing evilly as he manipulates the government on Zeta Flolan.

Re: Weapon preview

Post by NARFNra »

Hello, this is my first post!
Anyway down to business, I have an idea!
(Drumroll)

!!!!!PULSED BULLETS!!!!!
Basically, a bullet that fires at the player, stops about 1.5 inches (3cm) away, then waits about a second, jets toward the player, stops, waits about a second, jets toward the player, stops, waits about a second, jets toward the player, stops, waits about a second, jets toward the player, stops, waits about a second, jets toward the player, Until shot or the homing missile timer(The one that makes homing missiles stop working) ends.
I am of open mind and willing to hear criticism. Also: That's stupid and you're stupid. ~ 8Bit Theater

Ye who runs needlessly,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
~La Mulana, Endless Corridor Tablet
NARFNra
Location: Laughing evilly as he manipulates the government on Zeta Flolan.

Re:

Post by NARFNra »

Farfelkugeln wrote: :arrow: A mine that explode with spread shots wich hangs in the air for a while.
Like a lazy missile that randomly explodes into pellets? That would be neat, though hanging in the air might be unfair to the player.
I think he means it shoots a bullet that stops, waits a while, than explodes in a spread pattern.
I am of open mind and willing to hear criticism. Also: That's stupid and you're stupid. ~ 8Bit Theater

Ye who runs needlessly,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
Thou art a fool,
~La Mulana, Endless Corridor Tablet