Update - search, level types, and more.

Announcements will appear here.
MD
Site Admin

Update - search, level types, and more.

Post by MD »

Search or Filter button
Firstly, the gallery has been updated, most importantly there is a search button which will give you filters for which levels you see. You can also search for a level by providing a partial name, for instance, you might search for "minimalist" and then filter it to show only "action" levels.

More level types
As suggested, you can choose for your level to be Action, Puzzle, Art, Tutorial, [none] (that is, to remove the type and display nothing), and lastly, a Series (more on that in a moment!)

Hidden flag
You can hide your levels from the gallery list. A hidden level can still be played if a player manually enters the ID into the URL. And although this can be used to hide incomplete levels, it isn't ideal, as your level will receive the date of its creation, not when it is made public (eventually I'll work it out, one update at a time eh?). Most importantly, the hidden flag will ideally be used with...

Linking!
When you save your level you have the option to specify a link ID (that is, the ID of another level). In this way you can have multiple levels chained together, so you can make a campaign like series - hence the new type "series", to let players expect multiple levels rather than just 1. You can also use the hidden flag so that only the first level of your series can be seen, so that it must be beaten in order to progress to the next level(s).

That should keep you guys busy for a while ;)
Let me know your thoughts. For instance, would you like more security for levels in a series? Currently a player could guess the ID of a hidden level to play it, which could be undesirable. Also, the rating system will be a bit odd for hidden levels, because a player can still rate a hidden level while playing it, but that rating won't be seen because it's hidden from the gallery.

~MD
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Filter by doesn't work for art levels.

Other than that, nice updates! :)

EDIT: By the way, how does the success rate work for series?
Shouldn't it be for the whole thing too?
Or is it already, I don't know I didn't try it yet, but I guess it isn't.
And if it would be, wouldn't this affect other people's levels too as you can link to them too.

EDIT2: I think the button for the next level in series should be
a bit bigger or more noticeable so that it can't be missed :D

EDIT3: IMHO it would be better if you could create linked levels so
that they are saved as one level. That would solve some of the issues.

EDIT4: The infinite lives symbol is almost off the screen, at least with my resolution.
Sasadad

Linking

Post by Sasadad »

Awesome update! I was just wishing the other day that I could make a series of levels together, like the actual game, and linking is exactly that! Also, nice work adding the borders of the level. :D
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Mouzi:
The success rate and rating do not take in to account the series as a whole. They're treated as seperate levels currently. Ya, they probably should be for the whole thing.

Good point, I'll see about making the button more obvious, and I'll try to make a series in general more obvious as the label "series" doesn't communicate much.

I don't think saving linked levels as one level would work well, but perhaps a single, special, level that lists the levels in the series and can be rated as a whole. Either way, it will require some work.

Fixed the infinite lives symbol.

Sasadad: Don't know why I didn't put in a border earlier :)

Thanks,
~MD