New commands

Bug reports, suggestions, questions, etc that relate to the development of Zeta Flow and this website.
dadasas

New commands

Post by dadasas »

I was thinking of 2 simple new commands, follow mouse, and rotate to mouse.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Hmmm. Could you describe in more detail what you mean? If you're talking about parts that would rotate to face the mouse instead of facing the player's ship, I'm not sure that many designers would use them because they would give the player too much control over the enemy ship. But there might be some uses for it that a really clever designer could figure out.

How would you envision these commands being used? As a designer, what would you do with them?
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

What am I missing here. What's the difference between the mouse and the ship. Unless the mouse goes off the stage, aren't the mouse and the ship the same (except for some lag while moving)?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

If you move with keyboard it's not the same.
I think you could create a puzzle of some kind in this way.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Ah yes... I keep forgetting about that. Back when this topic first came up I tried the keyboard move with mouse aim and it was pretty awkward for me. But the majority seemed to prefer that. I'll have to try that again.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Well, I've always played with the default settings :P
I don't mind if it's not the most efficient way, I've just got used to it.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

I used to use the "Expert" controls but found keyboard movement and mouse aiming to be much better for my style of play. Zeke brings up a good point, though; not everybody uses the same control mode.

It could be an interesting "meta-puzzle" to make players change their controls in order to win a level, though there should probably be some sort of hint to guide them in the right direction, and some might already be using the proper control mode for the level and wouldn't find it much of a puzzle at all.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

It could also have an opposite effect, and make it easier to beat if you didn't use the controls it was designed for ;-)

It may not be that big an issue of which method to use. I've found that I can be almost any level that is actually beatable... with the exception of Mouzi's Ultimate Defence 2 of course :?

dadasas

Post by dadasas »

This commands are really only useful in mazes and puzzles. Still I think it could be handy.
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Zeke wrote:with the exception of Mouzi's Ultimate Defence 2 of course :?
You have beaten the other levels of the Ultimate Defence series? :P
If I recall correctly there are five of them.
The "Ultimate Defence 4" isn't that interesting anymore, though, now that you can use the time triggers :/

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic.
Although it's pretty quiet here so I guess it isn't that big deal (I hope).
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Mouzi wrote:You have beaten the other levels of the Ultimate Defence series? :P
If I recall correctly there are five of them.
I couldn't remember, so I just replayed them all and the only two I could beat were
Ultimate Defence 3
and
Not so ultimate defence

I understand WHY and HOW I can beat Ultimate Defence 3 but I don't understand what is going on that allows me to beat Not so ultimate defence (if that makes any sense). Maybe I just need to play it a few more times.

Are you ready to disclose your secret for the rest of them Mouzi? :lol:

BTW... There are 4 Ultimate Defence levels plus the Not so ultimate defence level.

For members who want to give them a try go:
HERE

Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Well, all I can say about it (because I don't even remember / know it myself) is that it starts the rotation thing when you are in a specific angle, which, by the way, seems to differ somehow :D

And yeah, I counted in the "Not so ultimate defence" as fifth.