List of things I'd like to see

Bug reports, suggestions, questions, etc that relate to the development of Zeta Flow and this website.
KittyBeast

List of things I'd like to see

Post by KittyBeast »

Although I doubt any of this will happen, I want to share some thoughts on what could be added to Zetaflow (or perhaps a sequel to Zetaflow?) Anyway I'll get into it:

Layers in the editor: I've mentioned this in a previous post and I think this would make the level editor much easier to work with stacked parts or different parts of a level independently of each other.

Despawning & spawning parts: This is perhaps the most useful idea I have within the current version of Zetaflow. The idea is that it would be possible to despawn parts to reduce lag. Take my "Waves" series for example: http://zetaflow.skylogic.ca/game/levels ... l/waves%3A Despawning the off-screen parts would in theory reduce lag and allow for much larger and more creative levels.

Reverting random rotation: Although a pretty minor feature, it would be nice to revert random core rotation or change it to a specific value based on the rotation of the core in the editor. Similar to how you're able to reposition the core with waypoints after the core has moved using randomwaypoints. Basically there could be a variant of the rotatePart command that isn't relative to when the command is executed, example: rotateCore,[speed],[degrees relative to starting position]

CoreGun weapons parts: I've made some concepts and one is based on the coreGun twinrapid or double: http://zetaflow.skylogic.ca/game/profile/14628

More basic shapes in the editor: Hexagon. pentagon and perhaps an octagon would be nice!

More parts with rotatePart: Essentially just an idea for allowing more parts to be added into a single rotatePart command, in the same way you can set multiple parts to become vulnerable at a time. This isn't possible with rotatePart, PART#, SPEED, [MIN_ANGLE], [MAX_ANGLE], [START_ANGLE]
A solution might be: rotatePart, SPEED, MIN_ANGLE, MAX_ANGLE, START_ANGLE, PART#, [#MORE_PART]

Fixed spread guns: Spread guns don't change their bullet pattern when they are rotated. Example: https://gyazo.com/4491feca8d3290c59194a1c29afb1b6a This is a pretty minor feature but I think it would make some things better. At least I know of some good uses!

Comment function in editor: MD has added this to his list of things to maybe possibly add to the game, however, I thought I'd add it to this list as it is something I'd like to see aswell! Having the ability to reliably use comments in the editor would be nice for organizing AI and stuff. It would also be nice to use comments in the parts code, so it'd be possible to organize that too.

randomRotation additional arguments: The current way randomRotation works is limited in that you can only set the max speed value, and not the minimum speed value. This is limiting, especially if you intended to have a ship which rotates quickly, but somewhat randomly. Instead of the current syntax: randomRotate, [SPEED] you could instead have randomRotate, [MAX_SPEED], [MIN_SPEED].

I'll update this list if I find any other ideas that seem plausible!
Updated 19.01.19
Last edited by KittyBeast on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
asdasdg

Re: List of things I'd like to see

Post by asdasdg »

I like the more parts with rotate part idea. Despawning parts would probably ruin the text editor.
KittyBeast

Post by KittyBeast »

It's true that despawning parts would be out of reach, but I still wish there was a way to optimize the game somehow!
Miltonrey

Post by Miltonrey »

Why do you think despawning parts would have such a negative effect?
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

Miltonrey wrote:Why do you think despawning parts would have such a negative effect?
Every part has a parent part that it is linked to. when a parent part is destroyed the child part is destroyed. And this keeps going for all linked parts.

The closest thing you could get to "despawning" a part would be to use a trigger command to set height and width to 0.