Twin Rapid Fire core Gun

Bug reports, suggestions, questions, etc that relate to the development of Zeta Flow and this website.
Redsatori

Twin Rapid Fire core Gun

Post by Redsatori »

MD, please get rid of the Twin Rapid Fire gun. Or make it unlockable somehow. And not easily unlockable either. I am kinda of getting annoyed with designers making their core about 4 pixels across and then throwing a TRF gun on it. Especially when you can't hit the core until everything else on the level is destroyed. It doesn't add challenge to the game when it's done like that. It just adds annoyance and frustration. You can see levels that have this effect by checking out this link. Granted some of that designer's levels are actually easy to leave a weapon out there, most are not. And I can only imagine how frustrated new players get when they have to come up against something that, for them, would be nearly impossible. Hell, it's difficult enough for me to beat, and I can beat most levels (insert: evil grin :here).

Anyways, that type of level is just annoying.

I don't know how you would implement an unlock feature into ZF. It could possibly add some other cool abilities to designers who have the patience and werewithal to stay the course.
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
ThePagemaster

Post by ThePagemaster »

the thing is, in strategic levels its nice so please don't get rid of it completely
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Yeah, that's why I was thinking about having an unlock feature for it, as opposed to simply removing it from the game. It's not bad when the core is hittable from a distance or when you only have to hit it a few times to beat the level. The main problem comes when designers make the core tiny, and then protect it until the very end so you have no way of dealing damage to the core until all the other weapons are gone. And then in order to actually hit the core, you have to go right up next to it.
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Levels like that make the core uber tiney and then stick a trf on them stink. Perhaps the only defense is to rate the level with zeroes. :/
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Yeah, but some of those levels are actually built quite well, minus of course, that one glaring fault. If MJ didn't put that TRF on every level s/he designed it would be alright, but it would be so much better to have a different core gun in there. The spreadshot core weapon is my current favorite. It is fairly easy to dodge if you are careful, and it has a slow enough fire rate that you can get up close and personal with the core. (And no, that doesn't not mean what you perverts think it means :P)
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Ya, I know what you mean. Its a matter of play testing to know how strong the core is going to be near the end. I just think some of them do it on purpose and it gets old if you know what I mean.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

It definitely gets old really fast with a tiny core. I don't mind it so much with a core that's hittable from a distance, though, even if the core still had all its HP. It's not all the hard to dodge if you hang back from the core. (Granted, now that I'm switching to keyboard movement, the dang thing seems to nail me every time, but my reflexes will rewire themselves sooner or later.)
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

I don't know why I even play that guy's levels anymore..... SOOOOOOO annoying...
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Yeay MD, we really need some way of making it so that you can't put an unbeatable level into the gallery. I just played two levels that have so many rocket launchers that you can't even kill all the rockets they fire before the next wave has already started firing.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

The trick with those levels is circle around so that they form in a cloud behind you and either miss or time out as you concentrate on the parts. That said, there are some where not even that is possible.
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Yeah, I beat those two levels, but seriously. That kind of thing should be frowned upon. At least they have low ratings from other players.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

I hate the twin rapid. I don't have any suggestions about what to do about it though, as getting rid of it entirely wouldn't be a good thing. Maybe for starters a level should show what kind of core weapon it has on the ratings page?
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

How about putting a minimum size restriction on the core. Is that a feasible option to the tiny core/trf issue?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Grau

Post by Grau »

In my opinion, doing that would reduce the fun of making trigger-bound "cores", which you destroy to destroy the core. Thus, needing to have the core visible (if you want a core gun) would make certain levels less artistically appealing.