Picking The Right Category

Design concepts in general, talk about your favorites, show levels you've made, give feedback.
Zeke

Picking The Right Category

Post by Zeke »

When a new level is created, the designer has the option to select a category (Action, Puzzle, Art, Series, Tutorial). Not selecting a category will make it default to "none". When properly used, categories can be useful for both designers and players to help them sort and find specific types of levels that they are most interested in. Most of the categories are self explanatory but the Tutorial category seems to be misunderstood.

The Tutorial Category was meant to serve the purpose of showing other designers and players how to do something specific. For example, Sasadad's level UltraComplex Line Movement. Some of the levels were created in conjunction with a forum discussion to help teach others how to do something.

Unfortunately, if I do a sort by the Tutorial category, I find that most of the levels actually belong in some other category. My suggestion to those designers who are creating a real Tutorial level is to add a comment to the level explaining what it is meant to instruct. And if it was created to explain something that was a forum discussion, then add a link to the forum topic.

If you are just testing out something while you are learning to use the editor than hide the level until you get the bugs worked out. Not doing so will probably only get you a very low rating.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein