Cool effect from my W.I.P. level!

Design concepts in general, talk about your favorites, show levels you've made, give feedback.
KittyBeast

Cool effect from my W.I.P. level!

Post by KittyBeast »

https://gyazo.com/c4d38c906fe62cbcba82758964622f44 A little sneak peak into one of my levels in progress! I thought it looked pretty slick, so I wanted to share it before I turn it into a killing machine :^)
KittyBeast

Re: Cool effect from my W.I.P. level!

Post by KittyBeast »

Lost my level to an editor glitch :(
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

It looks cool!

What happened with the editor? Can you tell me what ID (5 digit number) it had? And have you tried the recover button?
editor_recover.png
editor_recover.png (33.58 KiB) Viewed 14433 times
KittyBeast

Post by KittyBeast »

Ah, it's too late for a 30 second recover. The Id is: 14702

What happened was that I was editing the level and I periodically save the level as I make progress in case something happens. When you test your level and go back to the editor mid-game it (sometimes? can't confirm how often it happens) will take whatever is on your screen and open that in the editor (with the broken parts, moved parts and moved core and stuff) so I tried to load back a previous save I had by quitting and opening the level back up in my Home only to find that the entire level had vanished!

I'll probably recreate the level, I just need some time to let it sink in haha!
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

oh no. Much sadness
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

By the way, the recover feature saves every 30 seconds, but then the saved file will stick around for quite a while (until it's overwritten by being in the editor again).

Anyways, I retrieved what I could from what was saved in the my database, check it out: http://zetaflow.skylogic.ca/game/profile/14703

It appears you left your own comments in the AI code which messed with the game. For example "weapons&ship" and "cuberotation" and "green1" which you probably didn't mean to leave in there.

I've attached the fixed up level's code here, along with the commented version.

Hope that helps!

~MD
Attachments
editor_pieces.txt
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 1002 times
editor_AIcode_fixed.txt
(15.17 KiB) Downloaded 1123 times
editor_AIcode_broken.txt
(15.24 KiB) Downloaded 1328 times
KittyBeast

Post by KittyBeast »

Oh! Thank you so much for the recovery MD! I didn't know the comments I added would break the level, they didn't previously, although I do recall something similar happening previously when I added some form of comment.

Do you know of a way to add comments safely that I can keep within the AI script? In case I decide to change something or need to look up how I did something (and to somewhat sort my code as it is a mess to work with, that one is on me). Or should I add this to my suggestions post? :-P
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Ya unfortunately there's no safe way to add comments currently. That's definitely something that would be great to have, so I'll add it to my list of things-to-do-someday-maybe.

The fact that your comments worked previously is just luck :)

What I do is save my level's AI code and parts list on my computer and put in whatever comments I want, then remove the comments and copy/paste back into the editor when I'm ready. For instance, you can see my typical workflow here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJYpCDZF1S8

~MD
KittyBeast

Post by KittyBeast »

Ah ok haha, thanks!