When less is more - placement over quantity

Design concepts in general, talk about your favorites, show levels you've made, give feedback.
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Make a list of what you don't know yet and
I'll see if I can write explanations for them.
Or at least show how they are made :)

I don't mind sharing the tricks as I'm not the
best in making good levels on the gameplay
side. You have more use for them anyways.
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Mouzi wrote:Make a list of what you don't know yet and
I'll see if I can write explanations for them.
Or at least show how they are made :)

I don't mind sharing the tricks as I'm not the
best in making good levels on the gameplay
side. You have more use for them anyways.
Bah Mouzi, your levels are great. Don't lie to yourself.
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

I agree. ;)

Thanks for your help, it looks like the scheme with two rotators is more towards what I expected. Unfortunately, while the idea seems to work, it seems to require a lot of AI scripting and additional parts for it to function as smoothly as I want. It means I might not have much parts left unless I get really, really creative with weapons...
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Haha. I am having that same problem with the idea I am currently trying to implement. Unfortunately, the lowest I think I can get with that is 36 parts. Just too dang hard to make pistons that look like pistons, while at the same time moving up and down. In sequential order. Maybe I'll just make the level I envision and try something else for the Minimalist contest.
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

heheh. I'm afraid my idea is nowhere near as elegant or interesting as that, but apart from -really- thorough use of rotators and AI scripting, the only other option I have for this is using some things like 'rotate part to player', which looks freaking ugly for what I'm playing around with.
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Are you counting the invisible (0 size) parts too?
I didn't count them in as they are invincible and invisible.
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

I was... that's a good rules question. Are invisible parts (cool, there IS such a thing! I still want to recommend an invisible 'tag' thugh...) part of the 30 part count? Who came up with the rules, anyway? :)
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

I created another level according to the Minimilist guidelines called 5th Element.

Weapons: 4 + Core
12 parts + 5 Switches + 2 Shields

I used MD's core trick on this one. I chose the 4way2shot as the core weapon because it makes the usual missile dodging patterns harder to pull off. The missile launchers will point towards you. It was kind of a last minute idea before I uploaded it but I thought it added value. I made the missile weapons destructible via switches this time as well. The tradeoff for destroying the missile launchers though, is that the core will start shooting a tad faster :o I also used AI movement this time so you will have to try and trick the boss into going into the middle if you want a chance at doing damaging to it in the back.

Link in the picture: