[mini contest] Minimalism or Zen and the Art of Zeta Flow

Design concepts in general, talk about your favorites, show levels you've made, give feedback.

Choose the best Minimalist level::

Poll ended at Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:36 am

The ZetaFlow by Mouzi
38%
Four Corners by Geiss
13%
Flutterby Squadron Alpha by Redsatori
No votes
Triple Flinger by trickstapriest
13%
Deceptive Driod by MD
38%

Total votes: 8

Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

I am extremely exhausted right now, so I will be posting the poll for this contest in the morning when I wake up. Good luck to all the designers. You have until then to get your levels in for this contest.
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Visible Parts: 27
Weapons: 0

Deceptive Driod

~MD
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

How in the world did you do that, MD? I never knew a core could do that, lol.
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Yeah, that version of the TRF Gun is pretty sweet. Add in the fact that your core has 2 weps makes that a pretty cool weapon. Now, if only I could figure out how you did that.
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Did you guys notice the not-so-minimalistic Minimalistic level that got uploaded a day or so ago? Its kinda obvious that the author doesn't know about the competition, or what it was meant for, lol.
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

Me, I guess? I said it wasn't very minimalist, even though it met the parameters to the contest. I have exams to deal with, so I don't have the time to plan anything else. Or do you mean one on the gallery?

EDIT: Sorry for jumping the gun and being irritable. Did you mean "Minimalist Killer"? :roll:
Last edited by trickstapriest on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

He;s talking about Minimalist killer by getarr. Not a very minimalist level at all.

And thanks MD for putting a link to this on the gallery listing page!!
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

Yeah, caught that a little too late. I must like shoe leather. -.-
Good levels by the by. It took me a while to even guess at how some of them were working.
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

I still can't figure out how MD's multiple core gun thing is working, but I suppose he made the game so he knows all the tricks.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

It might be a scripting thing... the dropdown menu might just enter a script command when it's read, so creating a parallel script would allow you to give it both. You'd need to cause an error and see the output to get a hint at what it might be, and even then I'm not sure that's actually what he did... ;)
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Possibly, but I don't really know. Seems like his Twin Rapid Fire gun is a lot better than the one that us regular designers get to use. I like the fact that it only goes halfway around when it fires, as opposed to the whole surrounding thing it normally does. Also, the four-way twin shot gun fires quite fast. There is another level with a bunch of core guns on it that I couldn't figure out how they did it. the link for that level is here.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Hi everyone, so it seems my secret is out, so I may as well explain myself. and by the way, this is the "hack" I hinted at in another thread.

So here's the deal, the coreGun functions are just as much functions as the AI functions are, in fact, before the drop down box existed you had to type in the coreGun function in the text box. So as you can probably guess, you can still type those coreGun functions in the text box, as many as you like in fact (be prepared for a wave of noob levels filled with these :p ).

My level's four way shot does indeed shoot faster, because I have that function in there twice, which means the counter goes up twice as fast. The twinRapid is the usual one selected in the drop down box, except that, because it uses the same counter as the other coreGuns, it starts and stops 3 times as fast.

Furthermore, I have randomWaypoints in there 3 times, so movement is 3 times as fast as well, I think i've seen that exploited already. Also, I lied. There is 1 weapon, off the screen, which is destroyed by a switch to trigger the other coreGun to start.

I may eventually put limits on these things, I just hate putting up walls and boundries though, as I know it's quite fun filling the screen with bullets; problem is, it's not fun for the players who have to see it over and over again.

Redsatori: I probably should have put a link up while the contest was running...but anyways, I realized that the only people likely to see the poll are the people who entered the contest, so I figure some advertising might help get some more votes

Have fun!
~MD
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

I may eventually put limits on these things
No, no, no : P
I don't like restrictions either.

You should just make it so that a level has to be beatable (the creator can beat it) to be listed.
Or maybe you could make it so that the default gallery list only shows beated levels and then
there is "Show all levels" list which would show every level without any filters.
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Mouzi wrote:
I may eventually put limits on these things
No, no, no : P
I don't like restrictions either.

You should just make it so that a level has to be beatable (the creator can beat it) to be listed.
Or maybe you could make it so that the default gallery list only shows beated levels and then
there is "Show all levels" list which would show every level without any filters.
Only problem with that last idea Mouzi is that no one's levels would appear on the list when they first put them up there. Would be a bit barren methinks. I do like the other suggestion, however, about having to beat a level to save it. There are a couple good posts about it on the S & F section, including this one which contains a bit of my humor and photoshop fun.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

The first post should be edited to include links to all the levels I think, to make them easier to find.