Soemthing I Need to Say

Design concepts in general, talk about your favorites, show levels you've made, give feedback.
Loki

Soemthing I Need to Say

Post by Loki »

I've noticed that more and more often the levels I see in the gallery are simply huge ships with hundreds of weapons, all this does is make the game run slowly and your level imposible to beat, if you want to make a difficult level, do not do it through an excess of weapons!
n3cr0m33p5

Post by n3cr0m33p5 »

Total Agreement
Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

I think that everyone is generally in agreement about that already.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Absolutely. Most of the people who come and post on the forum hate that kind of level. The goal is to have fun, not make impossible levels! I guess to some people, it's fun to make an impossible level and frustrate others, but that's pretty lame if you ask me.

Too bad those people never seem to bother with the forum, or maybe they'd learn what the rest of us think of their levels. Maybe then they'd grow out of that phase and start making cool levels, or else just leave.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Loki - I agree with you also. If you are playing through the gallery levels, you will notice that there are less of those types as time passed. I think that ultimately those those type levels will continue to decline. I think the main thing that helps to keep those types of levels in decline are the creation of good, challenging, well designed levels by talented creative designers.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

The levels do actually seem to be improving now, I've seen a few good levels from designers not even on the forums yet.
thewiirocks

Post by thewiirocks »

Sasadad wrote:The levels do actually seem to be improving now, I've seen a few good levels from designers not even on the forums yet.
How is this series of levels?

http://zetaflow.skylogic.ca/ZetaFlow.php?ID=6724

I realize they are probably fairly amateur, but they were fun to make. :)
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Those two levels are actually fairly good, IMHO. They're maybe a little amateurish, but still a cut above most of the other stuff currently out there. Please make more! I encourage you to explore moving parts and triggers, too.

I have to ask, though... was that you who rated the second level 100%? I'm hoping not, but just in case you did, please note that many of us consider it really rude when people rate their own levels artificially high, and some (including me) object to rating your own levels at all. If you didn't put that rating there, then congratulations, somebody seems to really like your design skills. :) If you did, well, it's not the end of the world, and making mistakes is how you learn.
Sasadad

Post by Sasadad »

@ thewiirocks: The first level was basically a core with a couple of weapons. The second level shouldn't have that crazy coregun in the end (most people hate that), but it was otherwise a pretty good level. :)
thewiirocks

Post by thewiirocks »

swartzer wrote:Those two levels are actually fairly good, IMHO. They're maybe a little amateurish, but still a cut above most of the other stuff currently out there. Please make more! I encourage you to explore moving parts and triggers, too.
Thanks! Glad you guys like them! :)
I have to ask, though... was that you who rated the second level 100%? I'm hoping not, but just in case you did, please note that many of us consider it really rude when people rate their own levels artificially high, and some (including me) object to rating your own levels at all. If you didn't put that rating there, then congratulations, somebody seems to really like your design skills. :) If you did, well, it's not the end of the world, and making mistakes is how you learn.
It was me. Sorry. I was messing around trying to understand the interface. I didn't realize it was considered poor etiquette. I'll refrain from voting on my levels in the future.
Sasadad wrote:@ thewiirocks: The first level was basically a core with a couple of weapons. The second level shouldn't have that crazy coregun in the end (most people hate that), but it was otherwise a pretty good level. :)
The coregun worked out perfectly. If you hate the coregun (which was the point; cornered animal and all ;)) don't blast away the rear mounting from the ship. Just avoid the few bullets it sends your way and focus on the core. (As I'm sure you've already figured out. :))
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Heh. Yeah, on pretty much every level I try to leave at least one weapon in case that (profanity censored) twinrapid coregun is going to start hosing me down when all the other weapons are gone.

Even though that first level was just a few weapons stuck on a core, at least the core rotates, and there was a balance of weapons. Sure, it's not a very challenging level, but I still say it's better than a lot of people's first tries.

As for the self-rating, it's no big deal because you had no way of knowing it was rude at the time.