My Levels!

Design concepts in general, talk about your favorites, show levels you've made, give feedback.

Do U Like Mai Levels?

Ur Lvls SUCK!!!111!!!1111
No votes
Eh, Dunt Make Any More.
No votes
Stupid...
No votes
25%
I gess ther okai.
25%
Ther good.
50%
Cool.
No votes
Awsome!
No votes
How the #$%@ Should I Know?!
No votes
What Would I Do Without You Dude?!
No votes

Total votes: 4

XKat20

My Levels!

Post by XKat20 »

Hi :D

I've been making levels that I would like some help improving or at least what you think.
PLZ RESPOND.
lol

I'm stupid.

ROFLMFAO :!:
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

I can't vote on a poll like that; some of your levels are good, some suck annoyingly, and some are just meh. More good then bad, though, and I hope you keep making levels.

Here are my opinions. I don't claim to be any special authority, but I have played pretty much every single level in the gallery over the last few months, and designed a few of my own, so take this however you want.

The "Impossible Dude" level sucks. Impossible levels are stupid and make you look like you have some kind of macho complex, or maybe you're just trying to overcompensate for something. But at least you only made one like that. Most designers do at some point, so I'm not going to write you off just for one stupid level.

The "Shot in the dark, oh crap edition" is pointless. I expect that every designer is going to have to make at least one invisible level, but it got old about a day after MD added the capability. Very few invisible levels are original anymore, and this one was less original than most, and no threat at all. All I needed to do was park my ship next to the core and lock my mouse button down and then go play a different level in another tab while I waited to hear the kaboom at the end. Any level where I can do that right away is no fun.

Some of your early levels, like Missile Turret and Light Show, are just meh. That's OK, though, almost everybody's first levels are that way.

Your maze levels (Labyrinth and the two Zetatroids) are OK; they're pretty simple, though they look nice. The second Zetatroid level is the best of the three, but suffers from a common bug in labyrinth levels; by keeping the beginning shield on, the player can just waltz right through the red forcefield and kill the end target without having to bother blowing up the switches. I don't know how you fix that, but I know it can be done, because not all labyrinth levels are beatable that way.

"Missile-Mayhem" is fairly good; it's not a lot of challenge to an experienced player, but it's a good learning level, and you obviously put a bit of effort into visual design.

"Killer Gyro" is pretty good too; it's a challenge, though it gets a little monotonous. Add a few more weapons and it would be improved. Minus points for that annoying spam in the title too, but you can get rid of that easily enough by editing the level.

"This Level Is POSSIBLE!" is a nice little trick. The shields are thin enough that the occasional shot can get through, and I thought that was the secret at first, until I found out the real trick to it. I won't spoil the surprise by saying it here. I don't think that one has been done before, which is rare.

"FC-001 Frigate" is nice looking and very challenging. It's not the kind of challenge I like, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean it's a bad level.

"Recreation: Warning Forever" is fairly good. it takes a while to beat, but it's not boring, and the player can't afford to relax.

"Humanoid Mech" is nicely designed and you obviously put some work into making it look good. it's not a lot of challenge, but that's OK.

The Metroid level is my favorite of your levels. I thought it was impossible at first but you just have to steer carefully to keep from getting smashed between the boss and the side of the screen, while you shoot at the right spots on the boss. Challenging and nice looking; my favorite combination.

So anyway, you've got some fairly good stuff. Keep at it. To improve, I recommend making some more challenging levels, but not like the Frigate; the player should be able to shoot parts of the boss off and make things easier. But you have better-looking levels than a lot of the other designers out there, and you should definitely keep that up.
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

swartzer wrote:I don't think that one has been done before, which is rare.
I think it has :P
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

I think I'm missing something, Mouzi. I don't see the same trick in the level you linked?
XKat20

Post by XKat20 »

swartzer wrote:
The Metroid level is my favorite of your levels. I thought it was impossible at first but you just have to steer carefully to keep from getting smashed between the boss and the side of the screen, while you shoot at the right spots on the boss. Challenging and nice looking; my favorite combination.
Wow. Thanks. I Liked that one a lot too.

BTW, actually on 'This Level Is Possible' There WAS A Switch On The Top Of The Screen That Players Where Supposed To Hit. XD
But Not Anymore.
Last edited by XKat20 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XKat20

Post by XKat20 »

Mouzi wrote:
swartzer wrote:I don't think that one has been done before, which is rare.
I think it has :P

I Think That Has Got To Be The Level LEAST Like That.