Old stuff: Sprite parts

Scripting help, tricks, and tips. How to use the editor.
Mouzi

Old stuff: Sprite parts

Post by Mouzi »

I don't think this has been covered clearly enough on the forum and also someone has asked about it in the comments of one of my levels so I decided to write it down.

Click here for a new example level.

The green example on the left is showing that rotation with speed 180 makes it possible to go through the parts (lower speeds too as long as the pieces aren't overlapping). Though it still doesn't look too good because it flickers.

So, the cyan example on the right is showing that if you add a corresponding mirrored part on the other side of the rotating part it looks like it's staying still.

But there are also limitations, which makes this not so useful in some situations. The last example at the top is showing that if one of the parts goes off-screen the other one becomes solid again. Another limitation is that this doesn't always work with moving ships.

And yes, I know the meter isn't linear ;P it's there just for show.
swartzer

Re: Old stuff: Sprite parts

Post by swartzer »

Oddly enough, I actually see something different; the cyan example flickers in and out of focus, with each end slowly separating into two overlapping ones, then merging again.

The endpiece in the green example starts out looking like a single solid piece slowly rotating around the center, then after a couple seconds it jumps to a slightly higher speed, then to a higher one, and after a couple more jumps it's going fast enough that it looks like many pieces in a circle, then it switches to four slightly blurry pieces, then three less blurry ones, to two with almost no blur, then back to the single solid piece that slowly rotates.

I figure this probably has to do with differences between computers. What does everybody else see?
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

That's what it should look like, there are no differences as far as I know. The green example just shows what happens as the speed increases. The cyan example shows that if correctly positioned the mirrored piece will make it look like it's not rotating at all.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

I'm basically seeing the same thing that Swartzer is.

I'm guessing the would be some "quality" differences due to the speed of the computer, quality of video card and quality and type of moniter.

Which reminds me of an old post by Mouzi about color display. I'm reasonably sure that a CRT moniter would be capable of creating the illusion of white from separate RGB inputs if the speed was fast enough. I don't know that a LCD monitor could do that.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein