How do u judge the angles when using the AI roatate control?

Scripting help, tricks, and tips. How to use the editor.
ThePagemaster

How do u judge the angles when using the AI roatate control?

Post by ThePagemaster »

I can never seem to figure out the rotate controls. How do you judge the angles?
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

Clockwise rotation uses a positive rotational value, whereas counterclockwise uses negative. The angles are measured in degrees with the rotatePart script command. For instance,

Code: Select all

rotatePart, 1, 1, 0, 360, 0
That line says: rotate part #1 at speed 1 between 0 and 360 degrees, starting at 0 degrees. Generally speaking, 0 degrees is straight up from what I have gathered in my studies.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

One other hint: If you click on a piece, and rotate it using 'q', 'w', 'r', and 't' you can get an exact rotational value. Also, linked pieces with separate rotations are a bit tricky in that the rotation is relative to the parent piece.
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
ThePagemaster

Thanks

Post by ThePagemaster »

thanks a lot. it would be very useful if you could have a pop-up box that states the angle as well as the part #.
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

You kind of do have a box that gives the angles you need for parts.

It's located on the lower lefthand corner. If I need to be extremely precise on my angles (like my newest creation) then I generally rotate parts 1 degree at a time and check the box for the actual angles. It's the third box down from the top in that window.
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Your level RocketFlower makes good use of the rotation ai, PageMaster, I gave it a five. Though there were two semi-sweet spots (which I think are fairly minor), I appreciated playing a well thought out level that didn't include lasers. :o

The corners like the lower left hand one for example were far enough to keep me out of the rotation. This isn't a bad thing but as it was as long as I was in the corner, all I had to do was pay attention to that area of the screen to watch for single shots and I could ignore the rest of the screen as my shots took out the majority of the missiles before they reached me. The reason for that is that they are mounted on the core, if you had one or two mounted elsewhere, like on the rotating parts, then they could come from any direction and would force the player to move a bit more.

Example screenshot of the corner tactic: http://img476.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... wersz0.jpg

The other semi-sweet spot is directly next to the core. This one was a lot more hair raising to use (but fun) because I had to circle around every once in awhile to get the missiles to miss. MD's new weapon would make an awesome weapon right on the core. Aside from adding the circle weapon when it becomes available and moving the missiles to vary their flight paths, I don't think you need to make any changes.

A possible idea for the missile launchers new location since your core doesn't move, is to link them to the core and drag one out to each corner and have it point inward without having them rotate- maybe not one for each corner but at least two with no more the four total missiles on the map. Would be interesting.
ThePagemaster

Post by ThePagemaster »

Thanks, on the harder version i was going to update it with a spread blast in the center of the spinning thing, but when i try to open editor the AI keeps on being blank.
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

hm... I seem to have a problem with the AI panel as well. Half the time it won't open; I have to do a weird dance of opening the main game, going into the editor, opening my level, playing my level, then going back to the editor to get it to open...
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

That's an odd bug to have. Might have something to do with your cache being full.

/do the trickstapriest dance

ftw!!
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
Shin Chan
ThePagemaster

Post by ThePagemaster »

Thanks the Dance worked. the harder rocket flower now has a scatter gun and more lives.
(let me know if it needs any more lives)