This one's for you, swartzer!

Playing Zeta Flow
Redsatori

This one's for you, swartzer!

Post by Redsatori »

So I was bored this afternoon. I decided I'd make a video of the Slice 'N Dice level. The video makes it look a lot easier than it truly is. Plus, I've increased the speed on the whole thing, as it takes about 9 minutes to actually beat it.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR7FCGVgVho

The video quality is kinda goofed up tho, I don't know what they did to my video ><
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

Quite an accomplishment. I tried to do it with the auto aim, but only managed to take out a 'wing' once. I'll attempt again once I get some time to do something.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Woo-hoo! I finally managed to beat it myself. Fat-fingered the screenshot, though, so I have no proof.

Cool video, too, thanks! The video resolution thing seems to happen a lot when converting stuff to flash video. There's must be some way to do it and keep it sharp, but I don't know it. I tried to leave a comment there, but YouTube didn't seem to like my attempts. I'll either end up with a double-post or nothing, probably. :roll:

Slice'n'dice was only ever meant as an example of a level that was bad because it was unbeatable - but at that time I hadn't yet realized the superior zeta-fu possible with keyboard move and mouse aim. I think that level is pretty much impossible with auto-aim, because in order to make it survivable you have to shoot some parts of the boss when they aren't the closest target to you. And with expert aim, which I was using before, it's also pretty much impossible because there's too much time spent just moving to survive and not enough time when you could move to change your aim point. I'd always end up stuck with my aim facing the wrong way when the rockets were coming.

I'm now fully won over to using K-move and mouse aim, needless to say.
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

"Unbeatable" levels, real or self proclaimed, are really annoying. I almost managed to run circles around a boss with 10+ ship
following lasers but the controls aren't sensitive enough to not biff by gradual curve around the stupid thing.

When it comes to levels with tons of weapons that are set to follow the ship without rotating, I've come across what I call the
"Edge Tactic". Even on some levels with rotation, being on the edge can save you from lasers that sweep over you, not to
mention some rockets will simply dissappear off screen because of the edge.

I destroy the horizontal obstructions first, costing a life a piece because it runs me out of space, but after that I can camp on the
bottom edge and the inset screenshot will take place. The spread launcher on the core will never hit me in this location. :D
Using this I bybassed having to deal with over 50% of all its weapons.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

The self-proclaimed unbeatable levels make me laugh. I learned my lesson with slice'n'dice - anyone can make a level *they* can't beat, or imagine anyone beating, but that doesn't mean it's really unbeatable. It's even funnier because most of them don't seem to know how to make a truly unbeatable level, even though it's pretty easy in this game.

The edge tactic you mention is a good one for non-rotating ship-following leves; I've used it many times myself. That particular level is especially well-suited to it because so many of the weapons are below the core. If you shoot off most of the weapons at the top, you can get the core to the bottom and be perfectly safe because everything below the core is offscreen. I can often lock my mouse button down and leave a level in that position, knowing the core will be destroyed by the time I get back.
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

The beauty of that one though is that the spread shot can't me hit me there. There is another level (same author I think) called Mission impossible. It has rotation now I think but before it did I almost managed to use the edge trick since there was a gap next to the core I could sit in - read very small space - but there was a spread launcher on the other end of the boss that hit that spot so I could never beat it doing it that way though I was so insanely close to doing it.. :?
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Blind spot strikes again, lol. I used the bottom edge corner trick on some recent levels that feature following AI, missile launchers, and spreads and here was the result:

Shoot off any forward facing lasers like the one on the right had, and you can do the exact same trick I used on the earlier level. All the missiles circle off screen and the spread launcher thats mounted directly on the core misses me every time. The awesome thing about core movement set to follow the ship is that the core itself will never actually run into you so you can just sit there for as long as it takes to destroy it as long as none of its weapons track or hit you there. :lol:
asdasdg

Re: This one's for you, swartzer!

Post by asdasdg »

nice
Last edited by asdasdg on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~asdasdg
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

I will sone have completed forcefield city.
Even though he is good, I am not sure Swartzer can beat it. :|
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

We'll soon see. I can't beat every level, but I've beaten most of them.
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

you will be able to see....
WHEN MD GETS A BUG CORRECTED!!!!!!!
A bug in the editor none the less.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Relax, man. Can you edit your levels from your account home page?
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

Lol....
You said "Yikes!" on one of my levels....
Just Dodge is a yikes level....
However...The killing Machine also yikes.
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

Well Swartzer, I have one for you.....

I beat this ugly level you made.....I seriously jumped for joy when I beat it....I had set a goal and acomplished it....
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Like I said in my comment on the level, congratulations! Nice to see somebody finally come along and beat that one.

I may have finally found a way to play this game again without the killer lag that made me stop. If I can get it to be reliable, I'll be around a lot more. Even though Zetaflow is showing its age a bit, it's still one of my favorite netgames ever.