New Game/Profile Page Layout

Playing Zeta Flow
Zeke

New Game/Profile Page Layout

Post by Zeke »

Couldn't help but notice the new layout to the game/profile pages.

Is this intended to be a permanent change?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MD
Site Admin

Re: New Game/Profile Page Layout

Post by MD »

Yes, it's something I've been slowly working on for a while and I thought it was ready to go live today! Just a small step towards making the website a little more modern. Plus, I've always wanted to have screenshots of levels easily viewable for devices that don't have Flash Player. What do you think of it? Any issues so far?

~MD
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Maybe, get rid of the joystick, since I can now play by clicking the image of the level.
And I think I prefer the Top Ten stuff side by side.

After 11+ years, It's going to take a little time to get used to the new and improved version. :-)

I had to re familiarize myself with using the forum, it's been so long.
I'd love to see a new generation of players come on board.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the top 10, the side-by-side is nice. One thing to note is that the page rearranges automatically depending on the size of your screen. So a phone will display differently than a tablet or a computer or a giant TV.

There was one size where the top 10 would be side-by-side already, and I changed the bigger size to also be side-by-side because big screens do have enough room for it.

You can see the result of different screen sizes here:
2019-01-22-new_levelProfile.png
2019-01-22-new_levelProfile.png (330.42 KiB) Viewed 67081 times
~MD
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

whoa an update? What sorcery is this?
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

I wasn't even considering the other options because I have never played on anything but my PC. I would be curious to hear opinions from players who use a phone or TV to play. I imagine the tablet gameplay is very similar to PC play?
I checked it out on my Moto G6 Play, and could not imagine playing a complex level on it! But, I am a dinosaur.
Do you get any stats for the site that tell you what kind of a device is being used to access it?
My bottom line is that, most likely, I will continue to only play on my PC. And I will work with whatever changes you make. Since change is a constant and we all need to accept it. :-)

MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Well, I'm doubtful that anyone really *plays* the game on a phone or tablet, because Flash support is painfully lacking. I tried it on my Android once and it was a pain to setup -- basically had to install a hack to get it to work -- though it did work and was actually kinda fun.

I would think that some people are browsing the website on their various devices though, for which the new level profile should improve the experience.

Anyways, here's the stats since January 2018: Tablet 3.17%, Mobile 19.23%, Desktop 77.60%
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Interesting stats! I'm wondering if the game would play over the Amazon Firestick on their Silk browser. I might consider giving that a try if I bought a joystick that worked with that setup. The cursor movement on the current remote wouldn't cut it.

I had a thought regarding the Top Ten listings. Is is possible to narrow the column widths to make both sets line up horizontally? Would they then move down in sync if a lot of comments get added?

KittyBeast

Post by KittyBeast »

This is really cool! Digging the new layout and especially the preview of the level. Gives you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into beforehand
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Zeke wrote:I'm wondering if the game would play over the Amazon Firestick on their Silk browser.
Doesn't sound like it supports Flash except for a workaround mentioned here.
Zeke wrote:I had a thought regarding the Top Ten listings. Is is possible to narrow the column widths to make both sets line up horizontally? Would they then move down in sync if a lot of comments get added?
I'm not sure what you mean. Also, what resolution is your screen? That would help me figure out what your view of the webpage looks like.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

MD wrote:
Zeke wrote:I had a thought regarding the Top Ten listings. Is is possible to narrow the column widths to make both sets line up horizontally? Would they then move down in sync if a lot of comments get added?
I'm not sure what you mean. Also, what resolution is your screen? That would help me figure out what your view of the webpage looks like.
[/quote]

My monitor is set at 1920x1080, and scaled to 125% so I don't have to wear my reading glasses! :-)
Here's a screenshot:

What I meant by my comment about the Top Ten alignment was based on my assumption that the layout is based on column and rows. I was wondering if both top ten tables were in a row, side by side, and a lot of comments were made, would the comments column force the top ten row down to accommodate all comments.
If that's still not clear enough, I apologize, and you can just ignore that part.

MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

The comments section and Top 10 section are independent of each other. If we look at a level with many comments (like this one) we can see that the Top 10 section is unaffected.

And the layout is built using PicnicCSS's grids.

Does that answer your question?
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

This is getting overcomplicated.
I was trying to find out if there was a way to put the top ten side by side on a PC.
If it is, I for one would like that.

MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

Just realized your comment about zoom; if you zoom out from 125% to 100% they should be side-by-side already :)
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Doh!!!!!
Thanks MD!