What will happen

Everything else under the sun
asdasdg

What will happen

Post by asdasdg »

I don't see many people playing Zeta Flow these days. And it is pretty quiet on the forums.

But I do have a serious question. What is going to happen to Zeta Flow when flash stops being supported in browsers?
MD
Site Admin

Re: What will happen

Post by MD »

This is definitely a concern I've had for a long time. Flash is a dying technology, sadly, and I would hate to see this game die with it!

I have dreams of porting the game to some other technology, and the one I think is best suited is HTML5. It would be a fairly large undertaking though, so I've thought about open-sourcing Zeta Flow's source code and inviting anyone to help with the programming. I haven't had much time to think about this though, so I've only gone as far as making an empty git repo and writing a few notes in a readme file here: https://github.com/skylogic004/zetaflow (and there's some nice info about games in HTML5 linked from that readme)

What do you think? Is this the way forward?
asdasdg

Post by asdasdg »

Well Adobe announced today that flash support is officially ending by the end of 2020.

Zeta Flow to me is a good game. It introduced me to the concepts of coding. While I'm not a great programmer I can certainly trace my earliest interests back to this site.

I remember when it was a fledgling community, then it bloomed for a while, many levels would be made almost daily. Now the place is almost like a graveyard. Some of us still come back time to time though :)
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

I suppose this news is what you're talking about:

"It'll be possible to use Flash in 2019 if end users assent to it, but that option will end in December 2020."

And it sounds like all browsers are headed this way.

This makes me very sad!