New Level Option?

Bug reports, suggestions, questions, etc that relate to the development of Zeta Flow and this website.
trickstapriest

New Level Option?

Post by trickstapriest »

Thanks for getting me on the forums, MD. :)

I had a couple of things, but I thought this one would be a good one to suggest on it's own (as it's not a AI or weapon or anything).

Basically, levels could have a 'complete' flag. If it's checked, the level appears in the gallery list... if it's unchecked, it'll be 'invisible'... still playable by the editor and whomever he shows the link, but not up until the level is complete (or the modifications of a previously complete level are finished...)

Just a thought that might help ease up some of the clutter.
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

You're welcome, and welcome to the forums too!

Good idea, so essentially a "hide" or "private" option would be useful. Although this kinda messes with the date, as a newly "completed" level would have the date of its creation and so it wouldn't ever show up at the top of the list (and thus, may not be noticed)... Perhaps both a hide option, that can be enabled and disabled as you so please, and a Completed flag that cannot be disabled, then I could set the date to when it was completed. That might work well

Thanks,
~MD
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

I like the idea of separate "complete" and "hide" flags, but the "complete" one is more important to me than the ability to hide levels after they are complete.
trickstapriest

Post by trickstapriest »

right... the complete one does make the rest kinda irrelevant I suppose. I had the intention of letting one hide it later, but if you are going to use separate tags because of the date thing you can just have it check once. Hide probably isn't needed
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

I have a level option also, although it isn't really an option so much as a way to weed out the horrific levels:

You can't post your level after editing unless you can successfully beat it. Like, say, you have to play it and beat it when you click on "Save" and only then can you save it.

/evil grin
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

That would totally be an awesome filter.
swartzer

Post by swartzer »

Redsatori, you read my mind. I was thinking the same thing; no clicking the hypothetical "complete" checkbox unless you've already beaten the level. That would stop all the "LOL I made an impossible level, therefore you are a n00b" silliness.

Of course, some people would probably set lives to infinite, beat the level, and then change the lives back to 1 or whatever. There's got to be a way around that, though; maybe an internal flag that tracks whether changes have been made since the level was beaten, and won't allow the complete flag to be set. To make this effective, the game would also have to prevent edits when the complete flag was set.
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Prevent edits? I think it would be enough to have it detect edits and reset the complete flag before they can save. :)
Redsatori

Post by Redsatori »

That's what I was thinking also Geiss.

Something like this:

on Save()
{
if (editorWin = true) { allowSave(); } else { NoCanDoDialogBox(); }
}

And it should be something awesome, like this:
The world keeps a balance, through mathematics, defined by whatever you've added and subtracted.
Atmosphere, Godlovesugly
It's better to be choking your chicken in hand than to be tossing your rocks off in a bush.
Shin Chan
Geiss

Post by Geiss »

Lol, thats awesome. :lol: