Great game; a few thoughts

Bug reports, suggestions, questions, etc that relate to the development of Zeta Flow and this website.
the_corruptor

Great game; a few thoughts

Post by the_corruptor »

I wanted to say, firstly, this is a fun game. Very nice, and the level editor is just icing on the cake. Here's some bugs and a little constructive criticizm. keep up the great work.

Now, onto business!

A major bug; you can delete the ship's core in edit mode; making the level un-winnable, because you can't destroy the non-existant core. (the core's location still exists, and it still shoots, though)

A minor bug; you can surround the ship in invunrable force-fields (look at level 'actually impossible' by the_corruptor)

An inconsistant bug; if you click on edit mode from the main menu; the play button freezes the game.

Interface tweak; there should be a link somewhere on the forum to play the game. There isn't yet

Interface tweak; there should be an option, if you enter edit mode from the main game, to return to the game.

Interface tweak; you cannot duplicate guns in edit mode.

Interface tweak; you cannot go back into the edit mode help.

Interface tweak; after playing an edited level, it should show the pause menu, rather than immediately starting the level over.

Interface tweak; it'd be really nice to have a load button in edit mode, rather than going: gallery -> select yours -> edit mode
MD
Site Admin

Post by MD »

I'm glad you liked it.
These are excellent suggestions
you cannot duplicate guns in edit mode.
Yes, this is because when a gun is flipped (mirrored, duplicated, whatever you want to call it), the shooting direction does not flip, so they would shoot in the wrong direction. I'll work on getting the direction to flip as well then re-enable guns to be duplicated.
it'd be really nice to have a load button in edit mode, rather than going: gallery -> select yours -> edit mode
Indeed, I've already started to make a menu for the editor that will show you all the levels you have created and it will give you the option to edit, as well as delete, any of your levels.

I'll be going through your other suggestions finding a solution for them too.

Thankyou!
~MD
HaloMythbuster

Suggestions

Post by HaloMythbuster »

I agree with The_Corruptor about the gun duplicate thing. I hate having to always drag the gun icon over to the Core over and over again. And also do you think you could make a setting to change the color of highlighted pieces and/or add backround music?
HaloMythbuster

Suggestion

Post by HaloMythbuster »

Oh, and i found a glitch too. You can clone the core. The clone core acts like a normal piece and does'nt end the game when destroyed. It's great for confusing people.
the_corruptor

Post by the_corruptor »

to rotate rather than flip, simply add 180○, 90○, 270○ as appropriate to the gun's rotation.

also, i found a really odd bug where you occasionally don't respawn; instead you act like you're at 0,0 (same location the core is at if you delete it.

also also; if you lose your first attempt at a custom level, you try it again as if you had infinite lives set to on, making it only loseable by exiting.
the_corruptor

Post by the_corruptor »

a new, interesting bug; if you look through the gallery; some games have above 100% success rating.
the_corruptor

Post by the_corruptor »

a few new things;

occasionally I just randomly die. I don't know why, but I'm using mouse controls, if that helps. (it might be linked to 0,0)

in the gallery, beating a boss no longer registers as a win, simply as a play. The newest dozen games all have 0% win rate.
the_corruptor

Post by the_corruptor »

another thing: the movetowardsplayer AI is a little unbalanced. Simply creating an enormous boss with movetowardsplayer on will make the level virtually unbeatable.
the_corruptor

Post by the_corruptor »

of course I found more bugs:

- if you destroy a resized core peice, it will expand or contract to regular sized peice for it's destruction animation

- it is possible (see level 'find the dot') to resize peices, notably the core, so small that they cannot be hit. Perhaps a size restriction is in order?
the_corruptor

Post by the_corruptor »

suggested elsewhere, but custom part HP would be nice, or maybe a slider (strong vs weak)

as mentioned in the same elsewhere, the core starts with 1000hp, but gains 300 for each part attached. It is theoretically possible to create a peice with 100,000,000hp, and that's just silly. In fact, there are levels with huge numbers of peices that make it take forever, so if there was an upper max to piece strengths, it would be really nice.
Mouzi

Post by Mouzi »

Noooo :< I don't like restrictions. The less there is the better. It's their own choice if they want to ruin their level and make it take forever to destroy the parts.
the_corruptor

Post by the_corruptor »

that's true, that's true.

I suppose then, it would just be some sort of textfield.